Everyone loves a crumble, right? The process starts out similar to making a pie crust but in the end it is way easier and super fun to make. I like this recipe because I typically have all the ingredients on hand, you know, for emergency baking situations. This recipe is for a 9x9 sized baking sheet but you can double it and do a 9x13 if you are serving more people. Now, let's get ready to crumble!!
If you try this recipe, don't forget to take a picture and use the hashtag #AustinJamCompanyEATS
- 1.5 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick) unsalted, cold and cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 oz (1 cup) Austin Jam Company jam
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of fresh orange juice
- 1.5 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9x9 baking sheet with parchment paper. Make the sheet of parchment large than the baking dish so it's easy to pull out the dessert and cut at the end.
- Start by mixing flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Next add the cubed butter. Make sure it's cold.
- Use your hands (or a pastry cutter) to cut the butter until you are left with small pea-sized crumbles.
- Next whisk the egg, milk and almond extract together and pour over the crumbles.
- Gently mix together, it should look slightly moist and sandy.
- Reserve 1 cup of the crumble and set aside for the topping. Press the rest of the crumble into the bottom of your baking sheet.
- Next mix the jam with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and pour over your crust in the baking sheet.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of crumble. Add a little salt on top of the crumble if desired.
- Bake for 40-50 mins. Mine took about 45 minutes.
- Now make the icing, mix 1 tablespoon of orange juice with 1.5 cups of confectioners' sugar.
- When ready, move crumble from the oven and let cool for 10 mins in baking sheet then lift parchment paper on to a wire rack.
- Once cool drizzle over the icing mixture, cut and serve.